Eastern Kentucky University graduates, their families and other friends of the University are invited to Homecoming and Reunion Weekend 2016 Oct. 20-23 for “Golden Opportunities.”
As Eastern celebrates its 50th year of university status, thousands are expected for a weekend full of festivities, floats, football, family fun and fellowship. For the first time, the University is combining Homecoming with the events that formerly constituted Alumni Weekend. This year’s event features special reunions for the classes of 1941, 1946, 1951, 1956, 1961, 1966, 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2001 and 2006. Alumni of all years are welcome.
“It’s a great time for students, faculty, staff, alumni, family and friends to come together to celebrate the difference Eastern has made, and is still making, in so many lives,” said Kari Martin, assistant vice president for alumni and donor engagement.
The annual alumni awards banquet and Pioneer celebration is scheduled for 5-8 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 21. Four Eastern alumni will be inducted into the University’s Hall of Distinguished Alumni: Don Bornhorst, Bob Elder, Heather Nigg Partridge and Craig Turner. Four will receive Distinguished Service Awards: Dr. Bertee Adkins, Onyinyechi Chuku, James Kirby Easterling and Dan McBride. In addition, four will receive Young Alumni Awards: Jeffery Humble, Fotina Lefta-Hoskins, Colin Reusch and B.J. Ruckriegel.
The University will also recognize its newest group of Pioneers, those who graduated at least 50 years ago (1966 and earlier).
The annual Homecoming parade and 5K run will begin at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 22, along its usual route of Lancaster Avenue to Main Street. The Colonels will battle Ohio Valley Conference foe Jacksonville State at 3 p.m. at Roy Kidd Stadium. The Homecoming queen and king will be crowned at halftime. (Game tickets are available through www.alumni.eku.edu.)
Other activities include:
Thursday, Oct. 20
· Campus-wide Day of Service, sponsored by EKU Staff Council, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
· Colonel Corn Roast, 5-7 p.m., Meditation Plaza, adjacent to Powell Building, open to entire University community and public.
· Eastern’s Got Talent, 7-9 p.m., Brock Auditorium.
· Minority Collegiate Connections Fashion Show, 7-9 p.m., O’Donnell Hall, Whitlock Building.
Friday, Oct. 21
· Richmond Chamber of Commerce Town and Gown Homecoming Tailgate, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Madison County Courthouse lawn.
· Back to Blanton featuring Special Collections and Archives, 2-5 p.m., Alumni Center at Blanton House.
· African American Reunion and VIP Day Party, 3-8 p.m., Perkins Building.
· NPHC Step Show, 8-10 p.m., Brock Auditorium.
· Movie Night in the Ravine, 9-11 p.m., free, families welcome, food/refreshments provided.
· Young Alumni After Party, 9 p.m.-midnight, Paddy Wagon, downtown Richmond.
Saturday, Oct. 22
· Milestone Mixer, mix and mingle with reunion classes, 9-10:30 a.m., Blanton House lawn.
· Alumni and Friends tailgate, 11:30-3 p.m., Alumni Coliseum Parking Lot.
· African American Reunion “Grown Folks Saturday Night Dance,” 9 p.m.-1 a.m., Stratton Building.
Sunday, Oct. 23
· African American Reunion Breakfast: Supporting First Generation and Minority Students, 8:30-9:45 a.m., Welcome Center, Whitlock Building.
The weekend also includes various organizational, departmental and college reunions, as well as campus tours and numerous sporting events. To see a complete list of all Homecoming and Alumni Reunion events, including ticket/registration details, visit homecoming.eku.edu or call 859-622-1260.