Accounting Class Offers Tax Preparation

Published on February 13, 2018

An Eastern Kentucky University accounting class is again partnering with the Central Kentucky Economic Empowerment Project and Kentucky River Foothills Community Action Agency to offer basic income tax preparation for those making $54,000 or less.

Students in Accounting 322, Income Tax I, will provide the free income tax preparation service. Laura Barthel, lecturer in EKU’s Department of Accounting, Finance, and Information Systems, explained that the income tax preparation service is the traditional IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) service.

In the VITA program, the IRS-certified student volunteers meet face to face with taxpayers to prepare tax returns for electronic filing. While meeting with the taxpayer, students prepare federal and state income tax returns, which are then reviewed by Barthel or another reviewer before being submitted for e-file or printed for paper filing.

“The VITA program is a great opportunity for the students, for campus and for the surrounding community,” Barthel said. “Students apply what they are learning in the classroom, and their learning is enhanced. Community members receive a valuable service at no cost.”

VITA services are available to anyone in Richmond and Madison County who qualifies, and to EKU students, faculty and staff as well, she added.

The EKU students will be available in Room 269 (the Business Library and Academic Commons) of the Business and Technology Center (adjacent to the EKU Center for the Arts) on the following dates:

·         Tuesday, Feb. 20, 4:30-8 p.m.

·         Friday, Feb. 23, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

·         Thursday, March 8, 4:30-8 p.m.

·         Friday, March 23, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

·         Friday, March 30, 9 a.m.-12:45 p.m.

Appointments can be scheduled through the United Way of the Bluegrass, either online at or by calling 2-1-1 (just as you would dial 9-1-1) or Barthel at 859-622-7892.

Clients should bring the following information to the site:

·         Proof of identification – picture ID

·         Social Security Cards for filer, spouse, and dependents

·         Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for filer, spouse and dependents

·         Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN

·         Birth dates for filer, spouse and dependents on the tax return

·         Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-MISC from all employers

·         Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)

·         A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available

·         Proof of bank account routing numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check

·         Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number, or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number if appropriate)

·         All healthcare-related forms (1095)

To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

For more information, see or contact Barthel at 859-622-7892 or at